Tuesday 13 November 2012

Long long time ago…


Long long time ago…
How lovely is it not to sit back, close the old eyes and let the tic tok brain drift to years gone by…and this is just what I did today.

My mother use to do a lot of sewing for us children, the neighbours and the church ladies. She was a master with a needle and thread. Her old Singer was huge and had a treadle at the bottom which use to go backwards and forwards and then in the early 60’s my dad bought her an electric Singer, which became part of our household.

Being a sickly child (had rheumatic fever) I used to sit for hours and hours watching her whilst the other siblings were at school – I remember the two younger sisters were always playing on the floor amongst the pieces of materials and me, watching from the bed.

On the back veranda was a ‘magic’ box. It was an old tea chest and inside it was filled with 100’s pieces of material  from dresses/bed spreads etc she used to make. Many a time a ‘patchwork’ cushion/bedspread saw the light to our delight.
inside it was filled with 100’s pieces of material ...
a chest from a faraway country....a treasure for us!


Why am I talking about this today? Why is my mind drifting to those ‘carefree sewing days? My daughter who has a finger in the Vintage industry gave me some lovely 100% cotton pieces of material today to do ‘something’ with. There are a few dresses from many moons ago  and make me think about that tea chest – I closed my eyes and that is what I can remember…the 50 & 60’s patterns….

On a remembering note, how nice is it to remember those day and have a look what sisters Priscilla and Clarissa did with some pre-loved doors. They changed them into a pin board and more memories are pinned on these doors for generations to come.

...changed them into a pin board and
 more memories are pinned on these doors for generations to come....

Today my grand daughter is into my ‘materials’ – alas, there is no tea chest, but a very tough plastic container. No story to tell from where it came from- just clinical and practical. How my mum used to tell us stories from the countries far away from where the tea chests came from….but that was long ago…….

 Happy crafting and enjoy today to become a good memory for tomorrow!
Luvvies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment